STOP THE ACTIVE SHOOTER BEFORE HE CAN STRIKE
I believe if parents, students, schools, and even local and other law enforcement officials work together and implement some simple, common-sense observation skills, we can identify active hostile surveillance through observable pre-incident threat indicators and suspicious activities and disrupt the plot of the next twisted psychotic attempting to invade a school and bring sudden death to teachers, students, and others on his hit-list. To this goal I offer some tips of what to look for by examining what the typical domestic terrorist goes through on his way to those tempting schoolhouse doors.
THE SCHOOL-KILLER’S PLOT CYCLE (THE EGREGIOUS EIGHT)
- SURVEILLANCE – our terrorist gathers intelligence, photos, renders drawings giving him an idea regarding the school operations, including comings and goings, the capabilities of the security staff, etc.
- SUSPICIOUS QUESTIONING – future killers will try to gather crucial info and data about their target, the staff, operations,etc. Will “casually” chat-up (other) students, former teachers, security, etc.
- TESTS OF SECURITY – our sly future attackers will test security, its skills, its interest in protecting others and its Reaction Time. Killers will actually enter “restricted areas” to test security and to time tactical entries and escapes.
- FUNDING TACTICS. Legal and illegal actions to acquire money. Borrowing from parents, stealing from parents & others, including employers. Drug sales, etc.
- ACQUISITION OF SUPPLIES – explosives, weapons, ammo, uniforms, badges, credentials, etc.
- SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE OUT OF PLACE. Be aware of people in areas where they are out of place. Appearing in or near schools, trying to attend school-related events, appearing at athletic activities, etc.
- DRY OR TRIAL RUNS. Maybe at a pistol or rifle range or at an open environment, shooters will set up a mock site and be seen timing themselves, etc.
- KILL! Terrorists have to get their people and supplies into place. Unless, of course, these are copy cat students and not outside terrorists. Our Insiders will likely have already placed explosives, weapons, etc. at strategic places inside the school. Still, if these are “outside” terrorists, they must get everything into position and sharp observers can spot “strange” cars in the parking lot, weapons being brandished, or, if not, backpacks, etc
PLANNING CYCLE OF ACTIVE SHOOTER
- PRELIMINARY, BROAD TARGET SELECTION.
- INITIAL SURVEILLANCE & INTELLIGENCE GATHERING.
- SPECIFIC TARGET SELECTION.
- PRE-ATTACK SURVEILLANCE & PLANNING.
- ATTACK REHEARSAL.
- ATTACK EXECUTION.
- ESCAPE (NOT A BIG PRIORITY. GOAL IS TO KILL AS MANY “TARGETS” AS POSSIBLE UNTIL HE GETS KILLED!)